For the second year on June 7, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO) calls for organizations, businesses and individuals to adhere to proper food safety practices on World Food Safety Day. The observation aims to draw attention and inspire action to help prevent, detect and manage foodborne risks, contributing to food security, human health, economic prosperity, agriculture, market access, tourism and sustainable development.
This year, World Food Safety Day calls on global citizens to follow five guidelines:
1) Ensure it’s safe – in which governments must ensure safe and nutritious food for all;
2) Grow it safe – agriculture and food producers must adopt good and healthy practices;
3) Keep it safe – business operators must ensure food is safely and properly stored;
4) Eat it safe – all consumers have a right to safe, healthy and nutritious food;
5) And Team up for safety – food safety is a share responsibility on a global level.
As this year’s World Food Safety Day falls amid a global pandemic, people are paying attention to food hygiene and safety practices more than ever. To address this, Shangri-La Hotel, Beihai and Hotel Jen Orchardgateway Singapore observed World Food Safety Day 2020 in meaningful ways.
Shangri-La Hotel, Beihai’s culinary team shared food hygiene tips with guests and colleagues, followed by a Q&A with the staff.
Young guests who completed the training received certificates of participation to thank them for their dedication to food health and safety.
Hotel Jen Orchardgateway Singapore colleagues committed to food safety by signing a dedicated poster at the hotel’s heart of house. Departments including culinary, food and beverage, housekeeping and executive office team participated in the activity to show support for the Group’s stringent health and safety practices.
Thank you to our colleagues and guests for committing to healthy food safety practices.